Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Comparing the Hudson River and Newtown Creek

Hudson River and the Newtown Creek are both a part of the New York Harbor, but my experiences at each of these places were very different. When I went to the Hudson River I rode on a schooner called the Lettie G. Howard. I was taking all types of tests to find out how clean the Hudson River was. I found out the levels of dissolved oxygen, salinity, nitrates, phosphates, and ammonia. I also used a chart to fin out where the water was deepest.

When I went to Newtown Creek, I took the same tests but the experience was totally different. Newtown Creek was extremely dirty. I saw a lot of combined sewage overflows (C.S.O.s) and also a lot of oil. When I went I also got in a boat with an engine. This boat was significantly smaller than the Lettie G. Howard. I saw a lot of industrial buildings and factories along the Hudson River and the Newtown Creek. On the Newtown Creek there were candle, gas, cement, and oil factories. On the Hudson River there were a lot of apartment buildings, but not a lot of industrial buildings. Here are some results of the tests that I took from the Hudson River and the Newtown Creek.
JS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home