Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Traveling on the Lettie G. Howard

As a part of Harbor Class we traveled on the Lettie G. Howard. The experience was very different because I never sailed on a sailboat before. Also, the Lettie is an old schooner. A hundred years ago the crew used what is now a space for bunks to store fish inside. They went fishing for Cod and Halibut out on the Georges Bank. The Lettie G. Howard was built in 1893 in Essex, Massachusetts. The hull of the Lettie is wood and the engine/propeller machinery is twin diesel/twin screw . The rig is a gaff topsail schooner, Fredonia model. The Lettie is now owned by the South Street Seaport Museum.



I sailed on the Lettie three times throughout the whole year. The first time I sailed I was taught how to raise the sails. It was a new experience for me because I had never done it before. I also learned what a chart is. A chart is like a map, but it maps the water depth and elevations around the river.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home